December is here yet again. In my 21 years, I have not yet been able to decide whether I hate this month or love it. So, here’s a list of things that I think make December, December.
1. Winters are usually still a no show, especially in Karachi but that doesn’t stop people from getting out their hoodies, cardigans, and jackets and wearing them just because they cannot wait for the winter to get colder. You can see all types of really nice (or, as is usually the case, really bad) winter wear everywhere.
2. Coffee lovers (points to self) get excited about the fact that their mug of hot coffee won’t have an excuse to not be on their bed side table. The kitchen sinks are stacked with at least 4 or 5 empty coffee mugs every other night.
3. Book lovers get their comforters out, eager to spend the nights wrapped up in the warmth with a good book.
4. And let’s not forget December in Karachi always starts with the International Book Fair, crawling with book readers looking to spend money like a shopaholic in a brand store.
5. And then, of course, there are undergrads like me who are stuck spending the start of December studying for their finals. The fall semester is usually the shortest, and we spend most of it dreaming about the winter holidays…which never really arrive because our final exams are usually in the last days of December.
6. People with winter break are the luckiest.
7. For some people December is a month to binge and watch movies. I always end up watching nearly all movies that have come out earlier or in the middle of the year.
8. One horrible aspect about December that I just cannot stop hating is how most of my favorite TV serials take a break after their mid-season finales. All those Revenge and Downtown Abbey fans – doesn’t it drive you mental, the incessant waiting?
9. December marks the last month of the year, with new beginnings just around the corner. With 2013 bleeding into 2014, most of us look back and ponder over what this year had bought them and what they expect the next year bring.
10. Last but not the least, let’s not forget about Resolutions. December can be synonym for change. Old resolutions are discarded or modified and new ones are made that may or may not be followed the coming year. A word of advice: resolutions are easier said than done. Trust me, I know.